The Department of Health and Social Care has announced a consultation on proposed amendments to the NHS Pension Scheme regulations to be introduced in April 2024.
The proposals are to:
- deliver phase 2 of the review of member contributions
- introduce a new employer pension contribution rate in line with the results of the 2020 scheme valuation
- permanently remove abatement for special class status (SCS) members in line with the Agenda for Change (AfC) pay deal for 2023/2024 which is currently suspended to 31 March 2025
- make further miscellaneous amendments
The miscellaneous amendments include proposed changes to:
- allow members of the 1995 who have breached the maximum service limits to partially retire
- clarify in the regulations that where a member enters into a salary sacrifice arrangement, this does not constitute an eligible change to their terms of employment for the purposes of taking partial retirement.
The member contribution structure is currently being reformed following a comprehensive review in 2021 and the proposed changes to be introduced in April 2024 follow earlier changes in October 2022.
The changes outlined in this consultation are split into 4 sections:
- implementation of updated member contribution structure as agreed during the phase 1 consultation, with the additional proposed removal of the bottom tier
- futureproofing of the member contribution structure
- real-time re-banding
- changes to the pensionability of overtime up to whole time for members who work part time
How to submit your feedback and by when
You can read more about the proposed changes via the government website:
If you wish to respond to the consultation you can respond online via the link above.
The consultation closes at 11:59pm on 7 January 2024.