Skip to main content Skip to footer

Social Work Bursary for postgraduate students

Postgraduate social work students can apply for a bursary to help them with their living costs.

If you’re eligible for a bursary we’ll also pay a contribution of up to £4,052 towards your tuition fees per academic year.

A postgraduate social work bursary is:

  • awarded to eligible students
  • available to both part-time and full-time students
  • a grant not a loan
  • made up of a non-means tested basic grant and a means-tested maintenance grant

Bursary rates

The basic grant rate is:

  • up to £3,362.50 a year if you attend a university outside of London
  • up to £3,762.50 a year if you attend a university in the London area

The means-tested maintenance grant rate is:

  • up to £2,721 a year if you attend a university outside of London
  • up to £4,201 a year if you attend a university within the London area

This is paid on a pro rata basis for eligible part-time students.

Evidence of income

You may need to complete additional Confirmation of Earnings or Confirmation of Benefits forms if you cannot provide evidence of a spouse, partner or civil partner’s income or benefits.

These are available from your MyFunding account if you need them.

Placement travel costs

The social work bursary includes a contribution towards your placement travel costs of £862.50 for full time students. 

If your placement provider also contributes towards your travel costs, this will not affect your bursary entitlement.

Extra help

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to:

  • Adult Dependants Allowance
  • Childcare Allowance
  • Parents Learning Allowance
  • Disabled Students Allowances

Adult Dependants Allowance (ADA)

This is payable if you have an adult who is wholly or mainly financially dependent on you.

This may include your spouse, partner or civil partner but not your child or step-child.

ADA is assessed using your adult dependant’s income, if they have any, during the academic year. The maximum ADA available is £2,757 per academic year.

Childcare Allowance (CCA)

This provides additional help with registered childcare costs whilst you are attending your course. 

To apply, complete the SWB CCA application form (PDF: 172KB) and upload it to your MyFunding account.

Reconciling your childcare costs

If you're awarded CCA, we will reconcile your childcare costs quarterly to make sure you are receiving the correct amounts. Your childcare provider will be asked to complete a separate form each quarter.

Childcare costs - reconciliation forms for the 2023 to 2024 academic year

  1. Print off the form for Term 2: 25 December 2023 to 5 May 2024 (PDF: 208KB) and complete page 1.
  2. Give the form to your childcare provider for them to complete parts 2 and 3. 
  3. Email your completed form to 

If you still need to complete a form for Term 1 from the 2023 to 2024 academic year, please submit this to us as soon as possible.

Parents Learning Allowance (PLA)

This is payable if you have a dependant child or children aged under 19. We will automatically assess your entitlement based on your dependant’s income (if they have any).

The maximum PLA is £1,573 per academic year.

Disabled Students Allowances

DSAs are available for postgraduate social work students to help pay towards the extra costs they may incur as a direct result of either a disability or long-term health condition, a mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.