Skip to main content Skip to footer

Adult dependant's pension

In the event of your death, a lump sum and pension may be paid to your surviving spouse, registered civil partner, qualifying partner or nominated recipient. 

We may pay an adult dependant's pension to:

  • your surviving spouse
  • your registered civil partner
  • a qualifying partner you nominated to get an adult dependant's pension 

This pension is payable for the life of your surviving partner.

The amounts payable from the 1995 Section, 2008 Section and 2015 Scheme are different. 

The rate depends on your relationship status and circumstances at the time of your death.

You can find details in our 1995/2008 Member Guide (PDF: 5.01MB) and 2015 Member Guides (PDF: 3.35MB).

This adult dependant's pension is for a:

  • widower
  • widow (from a marriage between a same sex couple)
  • civil partner
  • nominated partner

We increase adult dependant pensions if by retirement you’ve bought an enhancement.

Find out more on the NHS Pension website.