Skip to main content Skip to footer

Change of circumstances

If you get an NHS pension, it’s very important that you let us know straight away if your personal details, bank details or circumstances change.

If you have a change of circumstances and don’t tell us, this could result in suspension of your payments, missing out on money to which you’d otherwise be entitled, or being over paid money and having to pay it back.

If you can no longer manage your affairs

This section deals with what happens if you become unable to manage your own affairs. This could be due to old age, accidents or illness.

We’ll do everything we can to support you if this happens.

We have policies in place to make sure that you can safely and easily allow someone you trust to deal with us on your behalf.

Power of attorney

Power of attorney is a legal document that allows you to nominate a person, or more than one person, who you would like to have act on your behalf. This is if, in the future, you become unable to manage your own affairs.

A solicitor will be able to guide you through the process of setting up power of attorney. More information is available on the Government website.

Before we can liaise with the person or persons that you have nominated, we’ll need to see either the original application for power of attorney or a solicitor certified copy, which has been stamped by The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) to show that it has been registered.

Court of Protection Orders

The Court of Protection (COP) order is similar to power of attorney, but it can be granted by the court OPG if you have not nominated a person to act on your behalf and medical evidence is provided to show you are unable to manage your own affairs.

A COP order is applied for by the person or persons who is wanting to act on your behalf. A solicitor will be able to advise them on the process for obtaining a COP order. However, this can take longer than putting a power of attorney in place and can be more expensive.

Letters of Authority

If you would like to nominate someone to receive information about your pension, or you would like them to be able to contact us to discuss your pension, you can do this by sending us a Letter of Authority.

A Letter of Authority allows your nominated person or persons to contact us or be contacted by us.

It does not give them the power to change anything on your NHS pension record.

For example, they could not change your address or tell us to change your bank details.

To nominate someone, you need to write to us.

Your letter must:

  • name the person or persons you would like us to communicate with
  • be signed and dated by you and by the person or people you’re nominating
  • include your NHS pension number, your date of birth and your current address in the letter

You can specify what information you want them to receive on your behalf.

For example, payment notifications or general information.

You’ll also be able to decide what format they’ll receive the information in.

For example, letters, calls or emails.

We are unable to accept Letters of Authority by email or take instruction over the phone. All Letters of Authority must be received in writing by post.

Quick reference guide 

Take a look at our quick reference guide (Word: 62KB) for a summary of the ways someone you trust can help you with your NHS pension.

Change of name

Depending on the reason for changing your name, we’ll need to see different documents.

If you:

  • change your name by deed poll, we’ll need to see the deed poll showing your new name
  • get married we’ll need to see your marriage certificate
  • enter a civil partnership we’ll need to see your civil partnership certificate
  • get divorced we’ll need to see the decree absolute
  • end a civil partnership we’ll need to the civil partnership dissolution order
  • revert to a previous surname we’ll need to see your original birth certificate

If you change your name when entering into a civil partnership, the certificate must show both your previous and your new name, otherwise we may need to see additional documentation to update your records.

All documents should be originals. We also accept certified copies of documents, but they must be certified and stamped by a solicitor.

Contact us if you’re changing your name for any other reason, and need advice of what documentation to provide.

Change of address

If you change address, it’s important that you let us know as soon as you can, so that we can keep in touch with you about your NHS pension.

If you move and don’t tell us, it’s possible that payments of your pension will be suspended until we can locate you.

When letting us know that you’re moving home, you’ll need to have the full address and postcode of the address you’re moving out of and the address you’re moving in to.

You’ll also need to provide 2 other pieces of information. These can be your:

  • NHS pension number
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number

Once you have all this information, contact us to let us know your new address or complete and return a change of address and bank details form (PDF: 78KB).

Change of bank details 

We want to make sure that you get your NHS pension as quickly and easily as possible, so if you change your bank account, let us know immediately.

If we do not have your up-to-date bank details, this could cause delays in getting payments that you’re entitled to.

When letting us know about a change of bank details, you’ll need to have details of your old account and your new account.

For both accounts, we’ll need the:

  • sort code
  • account number
  • account name
  • roll number if you’re a building society customer

You’ll also need to provide 2 other pieces of information. These can be your:

  • NHS pension number
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number

Once you have all this information, contact us with your new details or complete and return a change of address and bank details form (PDF: 269KB).

If you have changed your bank details, and forgotten to tell us, contact us immediately. This will allow us to do everything we can to recover any payments that have been sent to closed accounts.

Paying to overseas bank accounts

In most cases, we’re pleased to be able to offer NHS pensioners living outside the UK the opportunity to have their pension paid into a bank account in the country or territory in which they’re living.

If you decide you want your pension to be paid into an overseas bank account, read our bank payments overseas factsheet (Word: 290KB) and complete the TAPS Mandate form for the country.

Payments to overseas bank accounts can only be paid in the currency of that country or territory.

For example, payments to a bank account in France would be paid in Euros, or payments to an Indian bank account would be paid in Rupees.

Pension payments to bank accounts held within the UK, or its Crown Dependencies, can only be made in British Pound Sterling.

What to do if you believe we hold incorrect details 

Contact us if you believe that we hold information for you which is incorrect.

For example, your date of birth, National Insurance number or the spelling of your name.

Mistakes like this are rare and can normally be fixed quickly.

We’ll check our records to make sure that all the correct information has been supplied. If we need any further information or documentation, we’ll contact you directly.

Remarriage or cohabiting (adult dependants)

This section is only relevant if you’re an adult dependant of a deceased NHS pensioner and you’ve then remarried, entered into a civil partnership or begun cohabiting with another person.

To find out if you are an adult dependant and what pension benefits may be payable from each Section or Scheme when a member dies, read our Survivors Guide (PDF: 283KB).

If your late partner’s scheme membership ended before 1 April 2008, you’ll get an adult dependant’s pension as long as you are not remarried, in a new civil partnership or living with another person.

If you remarry, form a new civil partnership or live with another person, you must let us know. If you do not let us know, it may affect your entitlement to NHS dependant’s pension. You could get payments you are not entitled to, which will then have to be repaid.  

Scheme membership on 1 April 2008 and beyond

If your late partner’s scheme membership ended on or after 1 April 2008, your adult dependant’s pension is payable for life regardless of whether you remarry, enter into a civil partnership or begin to cohabit with another person.

Contact us if you’re confused about which rules may apply to you or need any advice.

My NHS Pension

We are currently in the process of writing to all pensioner members who claimed NHS Pension Scheme benefits (excluding child dependants) since 2015, to invite them to register for My NHS Pension.

My NHS Pension is our new, secure online portal for members of the Scheme.

On My NHS Pension you can:

  • View details of your pension benefits
  • See the personal details we hold for you
  • View digital copies of your monthly payslips and P60s
  • Provide additional contact details such as a personal email and phone number
  • Update your bank details
  • Add and amend your nominations

If you need to notify us of any other changes to circumstance, which you are not able to amend yourself within My NHS Pension, you will need to contact NHS Pensions.

More information about My NHS Pension can be found on our My NHS Pension web page.