Skip to main content Skip to footer

Bigger lump sum purchase

This is only for people who were members of the Scheme before 25 March 1972 (1995 Section only).

It applies to anyone who either:

  • is or has been married
  • has a civil partner
  • has a surviving Scheme partner

The person must be nominated to receive a full adult dependant's pension.

Read the Bigger lump sum factsheet (PDF: 194KB) for more information.

How to apply

If you're interested in buying a bigger lump sum, speak to either your:

  • employer
  • Pension Officer

Contracts to buy bigger lump sums or previously refunded membership must start from a future birthday.

If you have more than one job

If you have more than one NHS job, you only need to apply to your main employer.

You need to inform your other employers of the extra percentage contributions, once confirmed. This is so they can also collect them.

You should keep future employers aware of extra contributions to avoid getting into arrears.

GPs and dental practitioners

If you are a GP, contact your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or Local Health Board (LHB).

If you're a Dental practitioner, you should contact Dental Services at:

Dental Pension Administration
PO Box 679
Newcastle Upon Tyne


If you have a personal reference number from your CCG/LHB or Dental Services, it will help if you quote it.

You can pay from your next birthday as long as your application is received by then.